Individuals Filing


Book your session below


You will usually receive your refund within 3 weeks of the date when the IRS receives your return, even faster if you elect to have it directly deposited into your checking or savings account.


If you mail a paper Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return PDF, it can take 6 to 8 weeks to process your return.

For signing an electronic return see Validating Your Electronically Filed Tax Return.

For signing a paper tax return:

  • If you file a joint return, both spouses must sign the return. If your spouse cannot sign because of a medical condition and requests that you sign the return, sign your spouse's name in the proper place, followed by the word "by" then your signature, followed by the word "husband" or "wife." Be sure to also sign in the regular space provided for your signature. Attach a statement that includes the form number of the return you're filing, the tax year, the reason your spouse cannot sign the return, and that your spouse has agreed to your signing for him or her. If you're the guardian for your spouse who is mentally incompetent, you may sign the return for your spouse as "guardian."

  • If your spouse cannot sign the return for any other reason, you may only sign it if you have a valid power of attorney. You should attach the document granting you power of attorney to the return. You may use Form 2848, Power of Attorney, and Declaration of Representative (PDF) for this purpose.

  • If you're filing a return for a minor child who cannot sign the return, sign the child's name followed by the word "by," your signature, and your relationship, such as "parent" or "guardian for a minor child.

Calendar Year Filers (Most Common)

File on: April 15

Fiscal Year Filers

File on: The fourth month after your fiscal year ends, day 15*.

* If your due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the due date is delayed until the next business day. Your return is considered filed on time if the envelope is properly addressed, postmarked, and deposited in the mail by the due date.

Need More Time?

If you can’t file by the due date of your return, you should request an extension of time to file. To receive an automatic 6-month extension of time to file your return, you must file Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return by the due date of your return. An extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay. You may be subject to a late payment penalty on any tax not paid by the original due date of your return.

Members of the Military

Special rules may apply if you served or are serving in the Armed Forces in a combat zone or a contingency operation, or become hospitalized resulting from an injury received while serving in such an area of operation. You generally have at least 180 days after you leave the designated combat zone/contingency operation to file and pay taxes. If the Service determines you to be affected by a presidentially declared disaster or a terroristic or military action, you may have up to one year after the due date of your return to file and pay taxes, depending on the deadline specified by the Service.

Individual Tax Returns by State

Addresses by the state for Form 1040, 1040-SR, 1040ES, 1040V, amended returns, and extensions (also addresses for taxpayers in foreign countries, U.S. possessions, or with other international filing characteristics)

Taxpayers or Tax Professionals can use certain Private Delivery Services (PDS) designated by the IRS to meet the "timely mailing as timely filing/paying" rule for tax returns and payments.

Form Number

Mailing addresses for all types of returns: individual, corporation, partnership, and many others. Each form has its own page with the needed address for example 10401040-SR1040X7004, and 941.

Tax Exempt and Government Entities

Where to file addresses for tax-exempt and government entities.


Get Your Tax Information for FAFSA

Check Your Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) Eligibility

Make sure you claim the tax benefits you’re due with IRS Free File.

Get the full amount of the Child Tax Credit. Reconcile the advance payments of the Child Tax Credits you received in 2021.

Missing stimulus payments for you or our family members? Find if you’re eligible to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit.

Claiming Dependents and Filing Status

Tax Credits

Education Tax Benefits

Children’s Income

Life Events

Learn how life events can affect the tax you owe and your refund.

Family Caregivers and Household Employees

Find if you need to pay federal employment tax for a family caregiver, babysitter, nanny, or housekeeper with the Household Employer's Tax Guide.

Order copies of tax records including transcripts of past tax returns, tax account information, wage, and income statements, and non-filer letters.

If you want to find out how much you owe, verify your payment history, get your prior year's Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) to e-file, or see other tax information, you may not need a transcript. View this information in your tax account instead.

The method you used to file your tax return (e-file or paper) and whether you had a balance due affects your current year transcript availability


Request Online

Request your transcript online for the fastest result.

What You Need

If you don’t have an existing IRS username or account, have your photo identification ready.

What You Get

  • All transcript types are available online

  • View, print, or download your transcript

  • Verify your identity once, and you can easily return later to get a transcript or use other IRS online services.


Get Transcript Online

Caution: This service is for individual taxpayers to retrieve their own transcripts for their own purposes. Use by any other entities is prohibited.

Alternative to Requesting a Transcript Online

We recommend requesting a transcript online since that’s the fastest method. If you can’t get your transcript online, you can request one by mail instead.

What You Need

To request a transcript by mail, you need your mailing address from your latest return.

What You Get

  • Tax Return or Tax Account transcript types delivered by mail

  • If you need your prior year's Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) to e-file, choose the tax return transcript type when making your request.

  • Transcripts arrive in 5 to 10 calendar days at the address we have on file for you


Get Transcript by Mail

You can also request a transcript by mail by calling our automated phone transcript service at 800-908-9946.

Visit our Get Transcript frequently asked questions (FAQs) for more information. If you're trying to get a transcript to complete FAFSA, refer to tax Information for student financial aid applications.

Note: Transcripts partially mask your personally identifiable information for protection. Financial data will remain fully visible to allow for tax preparation, tax representation or income verification. Learn more at About the New Tax Transcript and the Customer File Number. If you need a photocopy of your return, you must use Form 4506.

CAUTION: The IRS doesn’t initiate contact with taxpayers by email, text messages or social media channels to request personal or financial information. Visit report phishing for instructions if you are unsure about the authenticity of any unsolicited communication you receive, other than U.S. mail, claiming to be from the IRS.


Related Forms

Related Websites

If your address has changed, you need to notify the IRS to ensure you receive any IRS refunds or correspondence. There are several ways to tell us your address has changed:

Address Change Options

A name change can have an impact on taxes. All the names on a taxpayer’s tax return must match Social Security Administration records. A name mismatch can delay a tax refund.

Name Change In

Find details about tax situations for senior citizens and retirees.

Determine if Your Retirement Income is Taxable

Social Security and Railroad Retirement Benefits

Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)

Get Ready to File

File Your Taxes

Credits and Deductions

Reporting Income